Compare Travel Insurance Travel Insurance Tips Non Resident Travel Insurance

Non Resident Travel Insurance

Are you a non-resident living in New Zealand planning a trip overseas? If that's you and you're on a temporary visa, you can still get travel insurance for your overseas holiday, it just might be a little tricker to find!

Where Can I Buy Travel Insurance For Non-Residents?

We’ve done the hard yards for you and found out which insurers provide cover for temporary residents. Compare non-resident travel insurance policies here:

**Click the ticks and crosses for more details on each.**

General Advice Warning: The contents of this article were accurate at the time of writing. Insurers change their policies from time to time, so some information may have changed. You should always read the Product Disclosure Statement of your chosen insurer to understand what is covered and what isn't. The information provided is of a general nature only and does not take into account any personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making a decision you should consider the appropriateness of the information having regard to your personal circumstances.

What Are The Requirements For Non-Resident Travel Insurance?

In the majority of cases you'll need to:
  • Have a trip booked that starts and ends in New Zealand
  • Be on a valid visa such as a Skilled Working Visa, student visa, partner visa, but not a tourist visa
  • Have access to publicly funded health care

Reciprocal Health Agreements

You never know you might be eligible for health care in New Zealand already. New Zealand has reciprocal health agreements with Australia and the United Kingdom. For more information you should visit:

What’s Typically Included?

The four main things to ensure you've got covered are:

  • Medical cover: Medical expenses for injury or illness including hospital stays, surgery, dental, prescription drugs, doctor and dentist office visits 
  • Luggage and personal items: Loss, theft or damage to luggage and personal items
  • Personal liability: Cover in the event that you are found to be legally liable for accidental injury or damage you may have caused to another person or their property
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits: The cost of rearranging or cancelling your journey because of unforeseen circumstances such as illness, accidents and extreme weather conditions

Whether you're here in New Zealand for a quick visit, or a four year work visa, non resident travel insurance is a vital part of every trip.

Not being a Kiwi shouldn't stop you from going overseas and seeing the world. There are plenty of options out there for you, you'll just have to look a bit harder. Get cover today to ensure a smooth-sailing, stress free holiday!

Trending Tips And Guides

visitors travel insurance


Are you visiting New Zealand from overseas? Or need to arrange travel insurance for friends or family visiting you? Get travel insurance for visitors to NZ today!

one way


Heading on an adventure with no return date? Get one way travel insurance for your trip. Find out who you can buy it from right here.

domestic travel insurance


Many people forget to buy travel insurance when they travel around Australia, but being covered domestically is just as important as being covered overseas.

Loading Quotes

Loading Quotes...