Visitors To New Zealand - Inbound Travel Insurance

Are you visiting New Zealand from overseas? Or do you live in NZ and need to arrange inbound travel insurance for friends or family visiting you?

If that's you, you might be finding it tricky to find cover. Most insurers in New Zealand require you to be a resident to qualify for cover, but there are options out there for you, keep reading for more details... 

What Are Visitors Options?

Visitors to New Zealand can either choose to buy a policy from within their own country, or opt for Overseas Visitors Cover which unfortunately only a handful of companies offer.

What Is Overseas Visitors Cover? And What Are The Conditions?

  • A visitors policy will typically cover your flight to New Zealand, the time while you are here, but cover will stop when you reach immigration at the airport when you are returning home
  • Age restrictions may apply
  • All or the majority of your trip must be within New Zealand to qualify for cover
  • A waiting period might be applied to medical claims
  • Must purchase within a specified time frame of landing here (usually within 14 days)

Where Can You Buy It?

General Advice Warning: The contents of this article were accurate at the time of writing. Insurers change their policies from time to time, so some information may have changed. You should always read the Product Disclosure Statement of your chosen insurer to understand what is covered and what isn't. The information provided is of a general nature only and does not take into account any personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making a decision you should consider the appropriateness of the information having regard to your personal circumstances.

What’s Typically Included?

  • Medical cover within New Zealand: Medical expenses for injury or illness including hospital stays, surgery, dental, prescription drugs, doctor and dentist office visits. You will not be covered for medical treatment outside of New Zealand
  • Luggage and personal items: Loss, theft or damage to luggage and personal items
  • Personal liability: Cover in the event that you are found to be legally liable for accidental injury or damage you may have caused to another person or their property
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits: The cost of rearranging or cancelling your journey because of unforeseen circumstances such as illness, accidents and extreme weather conditions
  • Rental vehicle excess: Cover for the excess payment on your rental vehicle’s insurance if the car you are driving is involved in an accident or is stolen
  • Hospital cash allowance: A daily allowance if you are hospitalised overseas (allowance will start after a specified period of time spent in hospital)

Like any policy there are exclusions around pre-existing medical conditions and cancellation cover, so make sure you understand your cover by reading the Product Disclosure Statement before you buy.

Are You A Non-Resident Living In New Zealand For A Few Years?

If you're in New Zealand on a working holiday visa, a sponsorship visa, a defacto visa, or even a student visa you should look into non-permanent resident travel insurance rather than a visitors policy. Follow the link for more info.

Whether you're here for a quick visit, or an extended break, overseas visitors travel insurance cover is a vital part of every trip. Get cover today to ensure a smooth-sailing, stress free holiday!

Other Articles You Might Like

non resident cover

Non-Resident Insurance Cover 

Already overseas and forgot to get insurance?

adventure activities covered

Going to Canada for two years on a work visa?

Rental Vehicle Excess Guide

Need cover for friends and relatives visiting NZ?


Travel Insurance Extraordinarie At Your Service

Need some help? Use the search box below to find answers to all those tricky questions. We’ve got heaps of travel insurance tips to help you get the best policy for your upcoming holiday!

Ask Me A Question:
Loading Quotes

Loading Quotes...