Comprehensive travel insurance is the highest level of cover you can buy, or as we like to name it "top notch cover!" If you’re headed overseas it’s a vital purchase for your trip to cover you for an array of sticky situations!
Most insurers have 3 levels of cover to choose from: basic (or medical cover only), mid-range and comprehensive. You should pick the cover that best suits the type of holiday and activities you have planned. Don’t just buy the cheapest policy you find, or you might miss out on vital cover…
So what can you typically expect from comprehensive travel insurance policy?
- Overseas emergency medical assistance: It doesn’t matter if you’re a frequent traveller or if you only travel once in a while. Accidents can, happen to anyone, including you. Your comprehensive policy will cover you for any medical expenses for injury or illness including hospital stays, surgery, dental, prescription drugs, doctor and dentist office visits.
- Cancellation fees: The sooner you buy your policy the better! Your cancellation benefits start immediately from the moment you buy your policy. So if you need to cancel your trip for an unforeseen reason, you’ll be covered. Remember that your actual cover (all other benefits) commence when you leave your home in New Zealand, and ends when you return. Cancellation cover includes protection for the cost of rearranging or cancelling your journey because of unforeseen circumstances such as illness, accidents and extreme weather conditions.
- Luggage and person items delay cover: Can’t leave home without a million items in your suitcase including the kitchen sink? Whether you’re a nimble packer, or a bit of a hoarder rest assured you’ll be covered for loss, theft or damage to luggage and personal items. Plus cover for any essential items of clothing and other personal items you need to buy in the event that your luggage is delayed or misplaced.
- Travel delays: Has a thunder storm delayed your flight? Comprehensive cover provides accommodation expenses if your scheduled transport is delayed over 6 hours (or there abouts).
- Personal liability: This one’s a goodun! You’ll be protected in the event that you are found to be legally liable for accidental injury or damage you may have caused to another person or their property. Phew!
- Rental vehicle excess: Planning on hiring a car overseas? Don’t pay the extortionate daily excess waiver from the car hire company. Your comprehensive policy will cover that for you. It will cover for the excess payment on your rental vehicle’s insurance if the car you are driving is involved in an accident or is stolen. Yippee!
- Hospital Cash Allowance: Boo, being stuck in hospital on holiday is no fun at all. At least you’ll get a daily allowance from your insurer if you are hospitalised overseas (allowance will start after a specified period of time spent in hospital).
- Loss of Income: Don’t fret if you’re injured overseas and you're worried about returning to work when you get home. Your comprehensive travel insurance will cover a weekly loss of income benefit.
- Permanent Disability: If you are injured on your trip and within 12 months of the date of the accident you permanently lose sight in one or both eyes, or one or more limbs, you are covered for a permanent disability benefit.
Are you a frequent traveller?
Those who can’t get enough wanderlust should consider a comprehensive annual multi-trip policy. These policies include top notch cover all year round. And you don’t even have to tell your insurer when you’re going on holiday! No matter where, or when, you're going you’re protected annually with fully comp multi-trip cover. Yeeha!
Remember that it’s important with any policy to always read the insurers PDS to fully understand the full list of features, benefit, and terms & conditions that apply. The above list of benefits is what you can expect to find in a typical comprehensive policy, but all benefits cannot be guaranteed in all NZ policies. So make sure you do your research!
Regardless of whether you travel regularly or are planning the trip of a life time, travel is unpredictable and you can’t always ensure a smooth sailing trip. Comprehensive travel insurance gives you the freedom to focus on your holiday and helps you recover from any potential holiday hurdles.
Compare policies today and see how much you could save!